06 July 2011

Get it together

We have a little Andy Warhol picture book, Yum, Yum, Yum, which juxtaposes food-related art with food-related quips by the artist. Some of the quotes are on the lame side, i.e. "She brought over soup and bread and dessert," but there are also some real gems. The best one, set beside a picture of asparagus, reads, "My favorite simultaneous action is talking while eating. I think it's a sign of class."


I couldn’t agree more. Even as a jaded high schooler I looked forward to family dinners, and was in heaven when I spent a semester of college in Paris, where I divided my time between meeting boys and eating 4-hour meals.


So it's no big surprise that I'm looking forward to the publication of Kinfolk, an online/print magazine (coming 7/15) and blog (now) dedicated to gathering and entertaining. Not in an over-the-top or ostentatious way, but in a manner that is "simple, uncomplicated, and less contrived." In other words, back to the basics of talking and eating.




No comments:

Post a Comment