16 January 2012

Golden Globes

Every award show is a reminder of how much my taste has changed since I started obsessing over fashion. I still appreciate the pretty, but in recent years I've gravitated more toward the more avant-garde. So it's no surprise that my best dressed award goes to a woman who Joan Rivers claimed "looks like the mother of the bride transitioning to be the father of the bride!"



Tilda Swinton in Haider Ackermann


She looks amazing, like some bizarre alien wrapped in couture. The mixture of confidence, defiance, and self-awareness is perfect to me. She always has such a distinct point of view, which is so well manifested in this look.


There are gorgeous women at every award show who can't pull off their look, regardless of how beautiful their dresses may be. These women end up in frocks that are either age inappropriate, wrong for their body or personality, or just overpower them (Sarah Michelle Gellar, Lea Michelle). Then there are women who can make a so-so dress look perfect because they're so fabulous (Angeline Jolie). Then there are the women who aren't necessarily big red carpet showstoppers, but know what they like and satisfy my infatuation with the 70's.



Kristen Wiig in Bill Blass


I can still appreciate a woman who can work it in the old red carpet standards (Lanvin and Marchesa) but throughout this awards season I'll have my eye out for a different point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment