25 January 2012

POTUS SOTU

Did you watch President Obama's State of the Union address last night? What'd you think? My synopsis in 25 words or less: "I'm still the moderate you elected, but then you elected a bunch of jerks and I'm done playing nice with them."

I saw a lot of feedback on this speech from liberals who were mad that he didn't say exactly what they wanted to hear. I definitely didn't agree with all of his talking points, but I knew I wouldn't when I voted for him in 2008. I voted for him because I believed that he would move our country in the right direction and really get shit done. Has he succeeded? Not yet. Have I given up? Not yet.

Even though I would expand the role of government further than he outlined in areas like job creation and health care, it was refreshing to hear him talk about improving the role of government in America in a fundamental way. He wasn't talking about another huge stimulus package, but he stood by his conviction that Washington will need to play a large part in getting the country back on track. At a time when the debate seems to be between more government and less government, better government really stands out as the option of reason.

So for the rest of this term I'm looking for stronger policies (even if I don't 100% agree with all of them) and improved governance. I know that words are just words, but I was happy to hear the "let's work together" rhetoric gone and replaced by the words of a president who's ready to fight. Get to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment